Can You Use CBD Oil for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
If you are interested in alternative treatments, then you have probably heard about CBD (Cannabidiol). One of the many compounds found within cannabis and hemp, CBD is becoming a popular choice for treating mental health disorders such as anxiety. It is also used for pain management and does not produce a psychoactive effect. Recently, there has been some discussion regarding the use of CBD oil for carpal tunnel. If you suffer from this syndrome, then we are certain you’d be interested in learning more about the legitimacy of these claims.
To help you out, we will be reviewing the evidence regarding using CBD as a potential treatment for carpal tunnel Syndrome.
What is The Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition associated with the compression of the median nerve in your hand. This nerve can be found underneath your palm. It allows your index finger, long finger, thumb, and a part of your ring finger to experience sensations. When pressure is applied to the median nerve, it can cause tingling, numbness, and weakness.
This can be caused by:
- Excessive pressure on the wrist
- Inflammation and swelling inside the wrist
- Obstructed blood flow to the wrist
People suffering from thyroid dysfunction, diabetes, high blood pressure, and autoimmune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis are more likely to experience carpal tunnel syndrome. It can also be caused due to fractures or trauma to the wrist. The way you position your hands while typing on the keyboard or using a mouse can lead to carpal tunnel. In addition, if you use power tools or hand tools that vibrate while in use, then this can cause carpal tunnel.
You can experience the Carpal tunnel syndrome in one or both hands.
How Is It Treated?
Standard treatments for this syndrome involve the use of anti-inflammatory medication such as NSAIDs. These can have many side-effects, including:
- Weight gain
- Bruising due to osteoporosis
- Allergic reactions
- Stomach ulcers
Your body can also develop a tolerance against NSAIDs, and you might have to increase the dosage. Consequently, long-term use of NSAIDs for treating carpal tunnel may not be the best solution. If you are prone to suffering from this condition due to the nature of your work, then you can consider using CBD oil for carpal tunnel instead.
CBD Oil for Carpal Tunnel: What Does The Evidence Suggest?
CBD is a cannabinoid that can help with pain and reduces inflammation. It is recommended for managing pain associated with arthritis and joint pain. The cannabinoid interacts with the receptors of the body’s endocannabinoid system to produce an analgesic effect. It works as an effective remedy for inflammation in soft tissues, joint pain, and pain resulting from nerve damage. These are all symptoms of carpal tunnel.
Several studies have investigated the use of CBD for treating inflammation. These include:
- A 2005 study involving 58 patients examined the efficacy of cannabis-based medicine for treating inflammation. The medicine helped reduce pain levels to a significant extent. It also helped improve the quality of sleep.
- A study carried out in 2011 evaluated the use of Cannabidiol in reducing acute and chronic intestinal inflammation. The researchers determined that CBD caused a considerable decrease in the expression of receptors associated with inflammation and can potentially treat inflammatory diseases.
- Cannabidiol has also been used for treating inflammatory conditions such as acute lung injury. A 2011 study involving murine models showed that CBD produced an anti-inflammatory effect for managing this condition.
- A study carried out in 2013 examined the role of Cannabidiol in managing inflammation resulting from acute pancreatitis. Animal trials were conducted, and it was observed that the use of CBD produced an anti-inflammatory effect. It also helped improve the expression of GPR55 in tissues of the pancreas.
- Another 2013 study investigated the use of CBD for managing neuropathic pain resulting from chemotherapy. As per the results, CBD can reduce inflammation and pain associated with this condition.
- CBD has also been used in preventing pain and nerve damage resulting from osteoarthritis. This disease causes intermittent inflammation, neuropathic pain, and joint degeneration. Treatment with CBD showed promising results. Researchers determined that you can use CBD for blocking arthritic pain. It can also help prevent the development of nerve damage and pain in arthritic joints.
As per the evidence presented above, we can infer that CBD can also help manage the symptoms associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. You can consider a topical application to the affected area or add CBD oil to a beverage when experiencing the symptoms associated with carpal tunnel.
CBD does not produce any adverse side-effects. However, if you are using NSAIDs such as aspirin for carpal tunnel, then you should consult your doctor and discuss whether you can also use CBD oil for carpal tunnel. CBD can interact with these medicines to produce an undesirable effect.
Wrapping It Up
Carpal tunnel is a painful syndrome that you can treat using anti-inflammatories such as CBD. Multiple studies also suggest that CBD is a promising form of alternative treatment for illnesses that cause inflammation. Using it can help alleviate the pain and inflammation associated with carpal tunnel and provide relief.
Did you find this article useful? If you are interested in learning more about the use of CBD oil for carpal tunnel and other conditions, keep following us for regular updates!
How to Take CBD Oil for Carpal Tunnel
This article was co-authored by wikiHow staff writer, Danielle Blinka, MA, MPA. Danielle Blinka is a Writer, Editor, Podcaster, Improv Performer, and Artist currently living in Houston, TX. She also has experience teaching English and writing to others. Danielle holds a Bachelor of Arts in English, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Master of Arts in English with a concentration in writing, and Master of Public Administration from Lamar University.
There are 13 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
This article has been viewed 14,503 times.
Carpal tunnel syndrome causes chronic pain that might interfere with your daily life, so you likely want relief. CBD oil is a chemical extracted from hemp and marijuana plants that may relieve pain and inflammation without getting you high. You may be able to use CBD oil to treat carpal tunnel syndrome and relieve symptoms. To increase the effectiveness of CBD oil, make lifestyle changes to support your recovery. However, check with your doctor first and consult your doctor if your symptoms don’t improve.