Best CBD Oil for Anxiety and Depression: 2022 Update
In recent years, more people are turning to CBD as a safe alternative treatment for their tough anxiety and depression issues. While it’s great that CBD oils are so plentiful on the market, what’s not so great is that all those oils aren’t created equal. We’ve taken the guesswork out of your search and proudly present to you our 7 best CBD oils for anxiety.
Both anxiety and depression have a large impact on people’s health all throughout the world. For years, prescription medication has been one of the main ways to treat these tough mental health conditions. The good news is that times are changing. More people are looking to natural methods like CBD oil to help quell some of the issues that stem from anxiety and depression.
According to the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance , one in 15 adults suffers from depression every year, while one in six people experiences depression at some time or another during their lives. Likewise, the Anxiety and Depression Association of America states that anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the United States, affecting 40 million adults aged 18 and older. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America also states that 264 million people worldwide suffer with anxiety.
Despite the severity of the symptoms, anyone who struggles with anxiety or depression can attest to how draining, scary, and frustrating it can feel at times. Thanks to the recent rise in popularity of CBD oil and CBD products, more people are seeking out natural treatments to treat and potentially help heal anxiety and depression.
Some long-time sufferers of anxiety and depression find that taking prescription medication along with talk therapy helps them deal with anxiety and depression. Still, others are finding that alternative natural treatments like CBD oil have helped to effectively decrease some of the more difficult symptoms of anxiety and depression.
One of the main reasons why CBD oil works so well against anxiety and depression is that it interacts with the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the body’s natural endocannabinoid system, or EBS. The endocannabinoid system consists of a group of specialized cell receptors in the brain that help to regulate sleep, appetite, pain, pleasure, mood, and other functions. The endocannabinoid system will be discussed in more detail further down in our guide.
Our article, written in partnership with Cannabis Herald, takes a deep dive into anxiety and depression while also looking at ways that CBD oil can help calm and treat some of the issues that stem from the two conditions. We’re also presenting readers with our top seven picks for the best CBD oil brands for anxiety and depression.
Our Top 7 CBD Oils for Anxiety and Depression
After putting in hours of research, we found that these seven brands both met and exceeded our strict criteria for having the best, most potent, cleanest, and most effective CBD oils for anxiety and depression.
Factors We Took Into Consideration in Choosing the Best CBD Oils for Anxiety and Depression:
Before we could write this guide, we came up with a list of the most popular CBD brands in today’s market . As we searched these brands out, our list began to grow overwhelmingly long. We spent an incredible amount of time researching each brand individually by looking at:
- Verified customer reviews
- Hemp sources
- Independent third-party lab reports
- How long the brand has been in business
- CBD oil ingredients
- If independent lab reports were published and easy for customers to find on the brand’s website
- Published articles from niche CBD experts as well as respected CBD journalists
- Potency and purity of the CBD oil
- Brand reputation
- Product prices
Based on what we found through our research, we next began cutting down our list until we were left with a handful of brands that met our tough guidelines. Lastly, we further scrutinized these brands until we were left with our top seven brands for the best CBD oil for anxiety and depression.
What We Looked For in a CBD Brand:
As we were cutting down our list, we looked closely at each of the brand’s products for:
- Symptom relief . We felt it was important to examine how effective each brand’s CBD oil was at helping to treat the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- How the hemp was sourced . We wanted our readers to know where the brand’s hemp came from and if that hemp was free of harmful herbicides, pesticides, and other dangerous chemicals.
- The brands’ processing facilities and whether they met strict FDA guidelines.
- Whether the company uses broad-spectrum, full-spectrum, or isolate extracts.
- The level of THC left in the products once they’ve been put out on the market.
- Whether or not the brand has its products routinely testedby a third-party laboratory for purity and potency, and if those results were made easy for customers to find on the brand’s website.
- The usage and dosage instructions the brand gives to its customers or places on its packages.
- The company’s reputation and overall verified customer reviews .
- Whether or not the company offered solid information about CBD such as what CBD is, how CBD works with the body, etc.
After looking at these guidelines, we were able to cut our list down quite a bit. Our final list of the best seven CBD oils for anxiety and depression can be found below.
7 Best CBD Oil for Anxiety & Depression [Reviews]
1. FAB CBD: Editor’s Pick & Best Quality
Since 2017, FAB CBD has been working hard to create clean, potent, and innovative CBD products. To that end, the brand’s mission has always been to craft high quality CBD products that will help everyone maintain a preventative wellness lifestyle. Everyone at FAB CBD has collectively had many years of experience through their work in the health, wellness, nutrition, and fitness industries. Every single one of the brand’s products is designed using the highest standards and practices and the very best ingredients.
FAB CBD crafts a line of full-spectrum oils in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 2400mg, and in fun and delicious flavors of citrus, berry, mint, natural, and vanilla. All of the brand’s products are made from the finest organic Colorado hemp that’s then converted into premium CBD extract using the industry preferred, clean CO2 extraction process. The final products are full-spectrum oils that are free from dangerous herbicides, pesticides, solvents, and other harmful chemicals, and that are rich in terpenes, cannabinoids, and other beneficial phytonutrients.
The brand also has a comprehensive line of CBD products that include Topical CBD Cream, CBD Body Salve, “Anytime” Daytime CBD Chews, “Nighttime” CBD PM Chews, Calm & Cool Crunchy CBD Dog Treats, and CBD-free Green Superfoods.
FAB CBD rises above the rest for best CBD oils for anxiety and depression in many ways:
- Versatility: FAB CBD offers customers a wide variety of products to help them treat anxiety and depression by offering full-spectrum oils in an array of strengths and flavors, a topical cream, a body salve, and CBD gummies. Customers can use one product, or can combine two products like CBD oil and topical cream to help tackle more than one issue at a time.
- Organic, Full-Spectrum Hemp: All of FAB CBD’s organic hemp is Colorado-grown and is cultivated using innovative growing, cloning, and extraction equipment and practices. The brand works hard to ensure that its customers get the very best and purest, most potent high-quality CBD products on today’s market.
- Third-Party Lab Testing: All of the brand’s products are routinely tested by ProVerde Labs, an independent third-party lab. Each product is tested for potency and purity, and then those lab reports are published on the FAB CBD website where customers can easily find them.
- Money-Back Guarantee: All customers can take advantage of FAB CBD’s 30-day, money-back guarantee should they need to. This also makes the brand the best option for first-time CBD buyers.
- FAB CBD’s full-spectrum oils come in an array of strengths and flavors, so customers can select an oil that best suits their overall health and wellness needs
- Top Rated CBD Oil for anxiety on Dmagazine
- Top-rated CBD Gummies with the addition of a brand-new line of CBD PM “Nighttime” Chews
- Warm and caring customer service
- Amazing variety of highly rated products
- Quick shipping
- CBD-free vegan superfood options
- Free shipping on all orders over $89
- FAB does not ship to the UK or Canada
- No autoship or subscription options are available to regular customers at this time
2. CBDistillery: Best Customer Support
CBDistillery was started by a group of CBD-loving Colorado natives in 2016. The brand’s founders were not too fond of the fact that CBD was expensive and financially prohibitive for those who desperately needed it. They also were not happy with the fact that the CBD market was getting flooded with unreputable brands who sold poorly crafted products.
On CBDistillery’s website, you’ll see that the brand states that it’s one of the largest, affordable, and fastest-growing brands in today’s CBD industry. To that end, CBDistillery has been working to educate the world about CBD through its social media pages by talking about the “CBD Movement.”
- Clean Hemp Sources: All of the non-GMO hemp that CBDistillery uses is grown and harvested in Colorado.
- Third-Party Lab Testing: Like FAB CBD, CBDistillery also uses ProVerde Lab, an independent third-party laboratory, to routinely test all of its products. The brand then publishes those lab reports on each of its product pages.
- Certified Brand : CBDistillery is certified through the U.S. Hemp Authority Certification Program.
- The brand makes all of its third-party lab results easy for customers to locate on its website
- CBDistillery offers veterans, the disabled, and low-income individuals special cost-saving programs
- High-quality pure CBD isolate products
- The products are fairly affordable
- Full-spectrum oils are also offered as part of the brand’s product lineup
- CBDistillery has a unique product variety for customers to choose from
- Product packaging is not exciting or eye-catching
- Instead of using the clean, industry-preferred CO2 extraction process, CBDistillery opts to obtain their extracts using an ethanol extraction method
- Customers have lodged complaints over flimsy oil droppers
3. Green Roads: Large Product Variety
Laura Fuentes and Arby Barroso founded Green Roads in 2013 because Fuentes, a licensed compounding pharmacist, wanted to find a way to help Barroso naturally treat and heal his tough health issues. Fuentes and Barroso teamed up and began formulating CBD products at night and on the weekends while she worked full-time during the day.
Fuentes and Barroso soon partnered with Danny Perdeck and Jimmy Tundidor, and the new collaboration allowed CBDistillery to quickly sell its products in over 10,000 retail locations. The brand strives hard to uphold its mission to help everyone find the best and healthiest version of themselves through CBD supplementation.
- Educational Resources: Green Roads created “CBD University” on its website as a means to impart knowledge onto its customers about CBD.
- Customer Information: If you’re new to CBD, then you know that it can sometimes feel confusing and overwhelming. To help rectify this, Green Roads gives its customers a host of information about CBD on its website. The brand also offers customers a “Beginner’s Bundle” that includes a selection of it’s best selling products.
- Independent Laboratory Results: Green Roads publishes all of its lab reports on its website, as the brand strongly believes in being highly transparent with all of its customers.
- Large array of products to choose from
- Free shipping on orders over $100
- Affordable prices
- Discounts for veterans and first responders
- Third-party lab testing
- 30-day, money-back guarantee
- The taste of the brand’s oils are a bit on the stronger side, which can be off-putting to some people
- The brand does not offer any full-spectrum or CBD isolate products
- Some of the brand’s products, like its CBD gummies, are made using artificial colors and ingredients
- There is not much variety in the CBD drinks that the brand produces
4. Joy Organics: Best Broad Spectrum
Grandmother, humanitarian, mother, and Joy Organics Founder Joy Smith, religiously used CBD to help treat her difficult sleep issues as well as her other health problems. Smith started the brand because she found that the CBD products she was using simply weren’t strong enough. To that end, Joy Organics sells gummies, pet products, oils, topical salves, and hemp-infused energy drinks, among other items.
The brand crafts broad spectrum CBD oil tinctures that are free from THC. Joy Organic’s gluten-free oils are sourced from hemp farms that are regulated and that do not use herbicides, pesticides, or other harmful chemicals. The brand offers oils in a variety of flavors and in strengths of 250mg, 500mg, 1000mg, and 1500mg. As an added bonus, Joy Organics performs its own lab testing using in-house chemists and also an independent third-party lab. All lab reports are then published on the brand’s website where customers can easily find them.
- Broad-spectrum CBD: Joy Organics crafts broad spectrum products that do not contain any THC. Along with THC, the brand also removes wax, chlorophyll, and plant pigments in its purification process.
- CBD-Rich Strains: Joy Organics uses hemp sourced from CBD-rich hemp strains grown in the United States.
- Variety: Joy Organics’ CBD tincture flavors are derived from natural terpenes and essential oils.
- All of the brand’s products are tested in-house and by an independent third-party laboratory
- Joy Organics has a solid product variety
- The brand’s products are great for anyone who wants to use CBD products without any THC in them
- Customers can take advantage of the brand’s 30-day, money-back guarantee if they need to
- Joy Organics does not manufacture their products. Instead, the brand sources them out to Folium Biosciences
- The brand currently doesn’t ship to the United Kingdom
- Joy Organics does not offer full-spectrum products
- The tinctures only go up to 1500mg strength
5. Cheef Botanicals: Strongest Mission
Cheef Botanicals has a mission to educate the world about the healing power of the cannabinoids found in the hemp plant. The founders of Cheef Botanicals have been frustrated and dismayed at how the pharmaceutical industry has been misleading the public over the years. Because of this, they set out to spread the truth about the healing power of CBD and other natural alternatives.
The team at Cheef Botanicals believes that consuming naturally occurring superfoods can help decrease the risk of certain illnesses while promoting health and wellness. The brand’s founders seek to put a stop to the systemic imbalances caused by the modern-day pharmaceutical industry so that people can have balance, stability, and improved health and wellness. The brand offers CBD tinctures in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 3000mg.
- Strong Mission: The founders of Cheef Botanicals have a solid and admirable mission. The brand is run by a group of professionals who have deep experience in the food industry. Together, they’ve solidified the brand’s mission to help customers recognize the healing power of CBD and the dangers of the pharmaceutical industry.
- Clean Products: All of Cheef Botanicals products are cruelty-free, GMO-free, dairy free, gluten free, and all of the ingredients used to make the products are natural, clean, and wholesome.
- Independent Third-Party Lab Results: The brand uses an independent third-party lab to routinely test all of its products for purity and potency
- Wide array of products
- Organic Colorado- and Oregon-grown industrial hemp
- All-natural, vegan, GMO-free products
- Third-party lab testing
- Free shipping and 30-day, money-back guarantee
- Subscription option
- Uses CO2 extraction process
- Contradictory statements on the brand’s website
- Prices tend to be extremely high for concentrated products
6. NuLeaf Naturals: Most Potent Full Spectrum
NuLeaf Naturals was founded in 2014 by a group of plant medicine lovers. The brand gears itself towards creating top-quality CBD products that are all-natural, lab-tested, and organic. All of the brand’s industrial hemp is grown on licensed farms in Colorado. Everyone who works at NuLeaf Naturals is involved in the CBD process from seed to sale. In fact, the team oversees the hemp planting, growing, manufacturing, and subsequent sale of the final CBD oil product.
All of NuLeaf Naturals’ products are created from whole-plant extracts and do not contain anything synthetic. The brand uses the industry-preferred CO2 extraction process to obtain all of its clean and potent extracts. NuLeaf Naturals routinely tests all of its products, and those results are made available to customers upon their request. The brand’s CBD oils come in strengths of 240mg, 725mg, 1450mg, 2425mg, and 4850mg in 5ml, 15ml, 30ml, 50ml, and 200ml sized bottles.
- Clean Products: The brand sources all of its extracts from organic hemp that was grown in the United States using sustainable farming practices. All of NuLeaf Naturals’ products are free from additives and preservatives.
- Industry-Preferred Extraction Method: The brand uses the industry-preferred, clean CO2 extraction method to obtain all of it’s clean and potent extracts. In using this method, NuLeaf Naturals ensures to customers that no solvents or heat are added, which produces a highly potent blend of CBD, terpenes, and phytonutrients at the end of the process.
- Product Availability: The brand’s products are available across the United States and in 40 countries throughout the world.
- Customers enjoy the flavor of the brand’s CBD oil drops
- NuLeaf Naturals uses whole plant extracts
- The brand has a 30-day return policy
- There is no money-back guarantee
- There are no flavor options available aside from its natural flavor
- The lab tests are only available upon request
- The product selection is very limited
7. Lazarus Naturals: Interesting CBD Oil Flavor Variety
From the brand’s very beginning, Lazarus Naturals has been dedicated to making effective, high-quality, affordable CBD products. To that end, the brand strongly believes that all CBD products should be accessible to everyone regardless of their circumstances. The team as Lazarus Naturals focuses on consistency and sustainability.
Lazarus Naturals is involved in the creation of its CBD products from seed to sale. All of the brand’s hemp comes from central Oregon and is pesticide-free, non-Gmo, and USDA Certified Organic. Moreover, plant material from the brand’s farmland is thoroughly tested for heavy metals, pesticides, and potency levels. The brand crafts potent full-spectrum oils in a standard potency of 15mg of CBD per 1ml that comes in 15ml, 60ml, and 120ml bottles, a high potency of 50mg of CBD per 1ml that comes in 15ml, 60ml, and 120ml bottles, a French Vanilla Mocha High Potency Tincture, and a Chocolate Mint High Potency CBD Tincture. The brand also makes THC-free versions of its tinctures in High Potency varieties and in natural, Winter Mint, and Blood Orange flavors.
- Clean and Potent Products: Lazarus Naturals extracts all of the vital parts of the hemp plant using cryogenic ethanol. Those extracts are then thoroughly filtered to remove any impurities.
- Third-Party Testing: Every batch of the brand’s products undergoes testing by an independent third-party lab for residual solvents, heavy metals, pesticides, microbial impurities, and potency. Lazarus Naturals then makes those results easy for customers to find by having them click the “Test Results” tab on all of its product pages.
- Attention to Detail: Lazarus Naturals ensures that its manufacturing facilities are cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices) compliant. The brand also uses biodegradable and recycled materials for its packaging and personally fulfills each and every order.
- Hemp grown in the United States on the brand’s farms
- Pure and potent products
- Third-party lab testing
- 60% discount assistance program
- 90-day return policy
- Ethanol extraction method
- Every product is made using coconut oil
What is Anxiety?
According to Anxiety.org , anxiety is the body and mind’s way of reacting to stressful, dangerous, or unfamiliar situations. Under normal conditions, anxiety is useful because it helps us to stay alert and aware during dangerous circumstances. However, for people suffering with anxiety disorders, anxiety feels anything but normal. In fact, it can be downright debilitating. There are three main categories of anxiety-related disorders.
- Anxiety disorders: People diagnosed with this condition typically have an overabundance of fear that derives from an emotional response to a real or a perceived threat. This fear is typically also tied to anxiety.
- Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders: People who have this disorder have obsessive, intrusive thoughts that trigger compulsive behaviors. The behaviors are usually performed as a way to help calm down the anxiety that’s associated with their obsessive thoughts.
- Trauma- and stressor- related disorders: These types of disorders are related to a traumatic experience or a stressor.
Common Types of Anxiety Disorders
Even though there are three main categories of anxiety disorders, there are many different types that stem from them. Anxiety comes in different shapes and sizes, and can take on many forms. Some common types of anxiety disorders are:
- Phobia based, which means that a specific phobia will set off feelings of excessive fear and anxiety.
- Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD), where fear of social situations trigger severe anxiety.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), a well-known trauma- and stressor-related disorder that derives from a deeply traumatic experience that triggers anxiety over time.
- General Anxiety Disorder (GAD), which occurs when someone experiences anxiety and worry over potential negative outcomes.
- Panic Disorder, that typically happens out of the blue because of persistent, lingering worry that panic symptoms will return, as well as a generalized fear of experiencing those panic symptoms.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCT), that causes people to experience repeated and persistent thoughts or obsessions that cause a great deal of distress. Those with OCT attempt to alleviate their anxiety by repeatedly performing certain actions.
- Other related categories of anxiety disorder that include separation anxiety disorder, selective mutism, agoraphobia, and disorders caused by substance abuse or other medical conditions.
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorder
Even though there are many varieties of anxiety disorders, some of the symptoms can be quite common among them all. There are, however, different symptoms that are specific to each type of anxiety disorder as well. According to the Mayo Clinic , some common anxiety signs and symptoms can include:
- Feeling restless, tense, and nervous
- Having feelings of impending danger, panic, or doom
- Increased heart rate
- Rapid breathing
- Feeling tired or weak
- Trouble concentrating or being present
- Sleep issues like insomnia
- Gastrointestinal problems like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Having a hard time controlling feelings of worry
- Having the urge to avoid anxiety triggers
What Causes Anxiety?
For some people who suffer with anxiety, the disorder can be caused by underlying health issues. However, for some people, signs and symptoms of anxiety could indicate the beginnings of a medical condition. Medical issues that could be linked to anxiety include:
- Heart disease
- Thyroid issues
- Respiratory disorders
- Drug withdrawal or abuse
- Withdrawal from alcohol or prescription medications
- Chronic pain
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Extremely rare tumors that cause the body to produce fight-or-flight hormones
As stated earlier, the side effects of some prescription medications can also cause anxiety. For those with underlying medical conditions, anxiety can be caused if:
- Anxiety doesn’t run in your family
- You never had anxiety issues as a child
- You never steer clear of situations or things because of anxiety
- You have a sudden onset of anxiety that’s not related to difficult life events and you have no previous history of ever having had anxiety
Research on CBD and Anxiety
Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter that aids in the regulation of moods and the general proper functioning of mental health. Medical professionals and scientists believe that low serotonin levels can cause anxiety and depression.
Scientists today have proven that CBD oil can potentially decrease anxiety through regular use. Since all hemp-derived CBD products contain 0.3% or less THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, you can safely use full-spectrum CBD oils to help treat the symptoms of anxiety and depression without any worry about getting “high.”
Interestingly, a study conducted in 2019 discovered that CBD oil is better tolerated among individuals with anxiety over prescription anti-anxiety medications like benzodiazepines that can be dangerously addictive. That same study also showed that regular CBD use had great promise when it came to anxiety reduction in general.
If you’ve been thinking about trying CBD to help with anxiety, then a full-spectrum or broad spectrum oil are the best options. CBD oils are wonderful for anyone who has issues swallowing capsules, or who needs to stay away from gummies and other edibles due to a sugar sensitivity or diabetes. If the overall taste of CBD oil is causing you to feel a little reluctant, the great news is that many brands offer naturally infused flavored oil options. For example, FAB CBD’s full-spectrum oils come in smooth, bright, delicious flavors like vanilla, mint, berry, citrus, and natural.
CBD Oil vs CBD Gummies to Manage Anxiety
There are so many different options to choose from when it comes to CBD products for anxiety. However, it’s important to understand that there are different modes of absorption depending on which product you choose to go with. If you’re seeking a more immediate effect, then CBD oil is the best option to go with. When you hold the oil sublingually for 60 seconds, it enters into your bloodstream through the thin membranes under your tongue. Therefore, you will feel the benefits and effects of CBD fairly quickly. In fact, you should start to feel the effects of CBD oil in as little as 20 minutes.
If you opt to go with CBD gummies, you have to understand that before the CBD can enter into your bloodstream, the gummy first has to be broken down by your digestive system. Therefore, it will take longer for you to feel CBD’s effects and benefits. Furthermore, when the gummies pass through your digestive tract they lose some of their concentration before the CBD in them is finally absorbed into your bloodstream. Overall, it can take 30-90 minutes before you feel the effects from a CBD gummy.
If figuring out the best dosage for your anxiety has you stressed out, then CBD gummies are the perfect option because the dosage is preset, as each gummy has a specific amount of CBD in it. If you wish to use CBD oil, patience is key as it might take a little time for you to find the right dosage that works best for your body. At the end of the day, the choice of CBD oil vs CBD gummies really just comes down to preference, lifestyle, and your wellness needs and health goals.
How Does CBD Oil Help with Anxiety?
There are many amazing benefits associated with CBD. To that end, when it comes to taking CBD oil for anxiety, consistency is key. In order to get the most out of your CBD oil, you should take it around the same time each and every day in order for it to be effective. Likewise, you should also take CBD oil while having some food in your stomach.
Some of the great benefits that CBD oil has when it comes to helping with anxiety are:
- CBD can help the body regulate its response to stress.
- CBD can help to create an anti-anxiety effect by activating the hydroxytryptamine serotonin receptor. that CBD can effectively help treat tough emotional disorders like anxiety, depression, general psychosis, and multiple sclerosis among others.
- Even though the research is still investigational, scientists are finding that CBD has a positive effect on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), panic attacks, depression, and anxiety.
Moreover, the results of additional studies have successfully shown that CBD can help improve the symptoms of depression and anxiety by lowering stress levels, boosting mood, and helping people to better handle everyday stressors.
While CBD will likely not completely cure anxiety or depression, it can help to improve these medical conditions and their symptoms. When you incorporate CBD into your daily natural supplement regimen, you’re taking one more step to improving the overall quality of your daily life.
The Workings of the Endocannabinoid System Explained
The body’s ECS, or endocannabinoid system is quite complex. It functions to regulate systems and workings in the body like sleep, appetite, memory, mood, digestion, reproduction, fertility, and many others. In order for this to happen, the ECS needs enzymes, receptors, and endocannabinoids to work together in order to create a state of homeostasis, or balance. When cannabinoids are taken into the body, they work with the body’s endocannabinoid system to help boost its functioning.
- Endocannabinoids, the body’s version of cannabinoids, are molecules that are made by the body to help keep it in a state of balance.
- The body has CB1 and CB2 receptors that cannabinoids and endocannabinoids bind to. They are located in the central nervous system and in the peripheral nervous system, respectively.
- After the cannabinoids and endocannabinoids perform their duties, the body sends in enzymes to break down endocannabinoids so that the body doesn’t come out of balance in the other direction.
Even though the endocannabinoid system is complex and additional studies need to be conducted on its workings, scientists can confirm that the ECS does help regulate:
- Chronic pain
- Motor control
- Mood – in particular anxiety and depression
- Skin and nerve health
- Reproductive health
- Muscle formation
- Liver function
- Bone growth and remodeling
- Cardiovascular functioning
Full-Spectrum Oils and the Endocannabinoid System
Full-spectrum CBD oils are highly beneficial to the body because they contain CBD, THC, and other cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients. In hemp-derived CBD products, there is less than 0.3% THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, therefore, there is no chance that you can get “high” from them. Products that are crafted from the marijuana plant, however, are illegal and contain a large amount of THC that will cause you to feel that familiar “high” when taken. If you have concerns about THC from hemp-derived CBD oils, however, then broad spectrum products are another option, as these have all of the same components that full-spectrum products do, but lack any THC. Depending on what system or function is out of balance, when you take a full-spectrum oil, THC enters into the body and binds with either the CB1 or CB2 receptors.
CBD is another one of the main cannabinoids in full-spectrum oils. Unlike THC, CBD will not cause any feelings of euphoria. Interestingly, scientists believe that CBD does not bind to the CB1 and CB2 receptors like THC does. Instead, they think that the cannabinoid compound works with the body’s endocannabinoid system to prevent the further breakdown of endocannabinoids before they’ve completed their job. The action of CBD within the ECS allows the body’s endocannabinoid system to have a much stronger effect on overall health and wellbeing.
How to Use CBD Oil for Anxiety
In order for CBD oil to be effective, it should be taken at the same time each day. Likewise, when you dispense the oil into your mouth, you should drop it under your tongue and hold it there for 60 seconds so that it can be best absorbed into the bloodstream through the thin mucus membranes under the tongue.
If you notice that you feel the most anxious first thing in the morning, then consider taking your CBD oil right when you wake up. Moreover, taking CBD oil before going to bed can also help you achieve a more restful and restorative sleep , as it has been proven to induce relaxation and a sense of calm. Since CBD oil enters into the bloodstream faster when taken under the tongue , you can expect to feel the effects in about 20-30 minutes. As stated earlier, consistency is key when it comes to using CBD oil for anxiety.
CBD Oil Dosage for Anxiety
Dosing for CBD oil, just like dosing for any other holistic supplement or prescription medication, is important. When you’re trying to figure out what the best dose of CBD oil is for your body, you need to remember that everyone’s body is different. Therefore, a dose that works best for you might not work that great for someone else. When you’re trying to figure out your best CBD oil dosage, patience is imperative.
When it comes to the strength of your CBD oil, lower strengths like 300mg or 600mg are great for maintaining general health and wellness. Strengths like 1200mg and 2400mg, however, work best for tougher health issues like anxiety and depression. For those just beginning to take CBD oil, starting low and going slow is a great rule of thumb to follow. For example, if you have opted to go with 600mg oil, then you would begin by taking half a dropper-full, or 10mg, once a day. Stay with this dose for about one week before checking in with yourself to see how your body is feeling. If after a week you feel that you need to increase your dose, go ahead and take half a dropper-full of CBD oil twice a day. This will equal 10mg twice a day, or 20mg of CBD oil a day. Once again, stay with this new dose for about a week before doing another self-check. Repeat this method until you’ve found the dose that works best for your anxiety or depression.
Keep in mind that over time, you may need to move up or down in oil strengths if adjusting the dose isn’t working for you. Just be patient. You will find the dose and the strength that works best for you. Furthermore, never worry that you’re taking too much CBD, as overdosing on it is not possible. As always, if you have questions or concerns, never hesitate to speak with your doctor or healthcare specialist as they can also guide you in the right direction.
Other Benefits of CBD Oil
Scientists have documented the fact that there are a wide array of health benefits associated with CBD oil. Some other benefits associated with CBD oil are that:
- It can help relieve pain — As we stated before, CBD works with the body’s endocannabinoid system to help reduce inflammation associated with chronic pain by positively impacting endocannabinoid receptor activity.
- It can help to reduce symptoms related to cancer — Studies show that CBD oil can help to reduce pain, nausea, and vomiting that stem from cancer treatment .
- It may help calm down acne — Recent scientific studies show that CBD oil may help to calm down inflammation from acne while also reducing excess oil production .
- It could lower blood pressure — Research shows that CBD oil can benefit heart health due to its ability to lower high blood pressure .
- It might have benefits for those with neurological disorders — Scientists believe that CBD’s ability to positively affect the endocannabinoid system can also ultimately lead to benefits for those with neurological disorders like epilepsy , Parkinson’s Disease , and multiple sclerosis .
Possible Side Effects
The great news is that CBD is agreeable with many different people. Scientific studies show that research participants reported minimal side effects from taking CBD oil. The most common side effects that were reported, however, were:
- Changes in appetite
A comprehensive review of 132 studies that took place in 2011 confirmed that not only does CBD have very few side effects, but it also doesn’t have any profound negative effects on how the body functions. That same study found that CBD didn’t have any negative effects on body temperature, motor functions, heart rate, blood pressure, and other vital bodily functions.
Even though there are mild side effects associated with CBD, if you are on prescription medication then you should consult with your prescribing physician before incorporating CBD into your everyday supplement regimen. One way to possibly sidestep or lower your risk of encountering possible side effects is to start using CBD by taking the smallest dose possible while still taking enough of the CBD oil that it will help you achieve relief from the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
CBD Oil and The Importance of the Grapefruit Warning
If your prescription medication has a grapefruit warning on the label , then you need to avoid using CBD while you’re on that medication. Grapefruit warnings on prescription medications warn you to not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruits and other citrus fruits while taking that specific medication. The reason for this is that grapefruits can interfere with how the body metabolizes the medication, causing too much medication to enter into the bloodstream. This can potentially lead to an overdose over time.
To date, there are over 85 medications that have a negative interaction with grapefruit juice, grapefruits, and other citrus fruits. CBD oil shouldn’t be taken with medications that have a grapefruit warning because the CBD will also negatively interact with the way the body metabolizes the prescription medication. In essence, the CBD inhibits specific bodily enzymes that are responsible for how the body metabolizes certain medications. If you’ve been wanting to try CBD, but notice that you’ve got a Grapefruit Warning on the label of your prescription medication, then it’s best to first consult with your primary care doctor, pharmacist, or prescribing physician before incorporating CBD into your routine.
Some medications within the categories listed below typically come with a Grapefruit Warning:
- Blood thinners
- Cholesterol medications
- Pain medications
- Heart rhythm medications
- Blood pressure medications
- Prostate medications
- Gastrointestinal medications
- Anti-seizure medications
If a doctor has approved your use of CBD while on these medications, then you should take great care to pay attention to how you’re feeling and make note of any changes in the way your body feels while on the combination of your medication and the CBD oil.
Is CBD Legal?
Thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill , CBD that’s derived from hemp is legal across all 50 states. CBD is extracted from both the hemp and marijuana plants. However, CBD that comes from hemp has less than 0.3% THC, while CBD that’s extracted from marijuan has well over that amount. According to the 2018 Farm Bill, all hemp-derived CBD products must contain 0.3% or less THC.
Even though the Farm Bill makes hemp-derived CBD products legal, you should still research your state’s laws regarding CBD products. Moreover, if you’re planning on travelling and are thinking about taking your CBD products with you, then you should also look into both the laws of the states that you’ll be travelling through as well as those of your destination state.
Considerations Before Buying CBD Oil for Anxiety
While it’s great that there are so many brands and products to choose from in today’s CBD market, the reality is that not all brands and products are created equal. Even though our guide will help you find the best CBD oils for anxiety, we suggest that you still take the time to research other places where you can find CBD oil for sale online legally . Sadly, there are many brands out there that are selling inferior CBD oils to customers that are both illegal and also laden with dangerous chemicals like solvents, pesticides, herbicides, and other harmful and synthetic ingredients.
Before choosing a brand or CBD oil for Anxiety and Depression, you should look at:
- Where the hemp is sourced from. Hemp that’s grown in the United States is held to different standards and regulations than hemp that’s grown over in Europe.
- If the amount of THC in the CBD oil is at or below the legal limit of 0.3%.
- If the product is full-spectrum, broad spectrum, or a CBD isolate. Typically, full-spectrum CBD oils are the best option because you’ll be able to take full advantage of all the cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients that the hemp plant has to offer.
- Additional ingredients that the brand incorporates into its products. Sadly, some brands use artificial colors, flavorings, and other additives in their CBD oils or gummies. You should always purchase your CBD oil from a reputable brand that uses natural, clean, and organic ingredients to craft its products.
- Independent third-party lab test results. Brands that use independent labs to routinely test their products for purity and potency convey to customers that transparency is a top priority to them. Not only that, but the brand should also publish those lab results on its website where customers can easily find them.
Final Thoughts: What’s the Bottom Line?
If you’ve been struggling with anxiety or depression, CBD might be able to help you achieve quick and effective relief from those health issues without any of the potential negative side effects that prescription medications can cause. Another bonus is that CBD is safe, well-tolerated, non-addicting, and comes with very few mild side effects that include sleepiness, dizziness, nausea, low blood pressure, mood changes, and changes in appetite and weight.
If you’ve been struggling with anxiety and have been wanting to try CBD, then our top brand picks for the seven best CBD oils for anxiety are a fantastic place to begin your search. We’ve selected FAB CBD as our top choice because the brand’s CBD oils are potent, pure, effective, and highly rated among both customers and industry experts. Moreover, FAB CBD truly cares about the health, wellness, questions, and concerns of its customers, as is reflected in the brand’s warm and caring customer service department and stellar reputation. Even though FAB CBD is our top pick, our other six brands also rise to the top.
No matter which brand you decide to go with, you should still take some time to perform your own research into what CBD is and how it can best help you calm your anxiety. You may also find it helpful to dig deeper into our top seven brands as well. If you’re stuck on where to begin in your research, you can always start by looking closer into the brands we’ve presented to you in our guide. Lastly, if you’ve got questions or concerns about CBD and how it can help to alleviate your anxiety or depression, never hesitate to call your primary care physician or medical specialist.
Best CBD Oil for Anxiety: How CBD Helps with Stress & Depression
We all experience anxiety at one point or another.
Roughly 40 million Americans are diagnosed with clinical anxiety disorders every year, and countless others experience some form of anxiety on a daily or weekly basis. This anxiety can take a toll on our lives — affecting our relationships, performance at work or school, and our overall health and wellbeing.
One of the most popular alternative support options among anxiety sufferers is cannabidiol (CBD) — a non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in the hemp plant. This compound works through two main systems to promote a feeling of calmness and relaxation.
In this article, we’ll explain how CBD is suggested to support anxiety, what the research says, and offer some of the best hemp oil options for anxiety.
- Rated #1 for overall anxiety and depression relief
- Highest quality hemp oil on our list
- 100% organic, free of pesticides, and artificial ingredients
- Established brand with 24/7 customer support
- 30-day 100% money-back guarantee
- Good customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
10 Best CBD Oils for Anxiety (Top Quality Brands of 2022)
- Best Overall Pick: Royal CBD
- Best Organic Formula: Gold Bee
- Runner Up: CBD Pure
- Good Customer Support: Hemp Bombs
- Veteran Brand: CBDistillery
- Most Socially Responsible: NuLeaf Naturals
The CBD market hasn’t yet matured — which means there are a ton of brands offering inferior quality products. They’re managing to remain in business on hype alone. As the market matures, these companies won’t last — leaving only the best brands in the wake.
At this early stage in the market, it’s important that customers understand how to spot a good CBD manufacturer, and which companies to avoid.
To make things easier for you, I’ve compiled a shortlist of the best CBD oils I’ve come across for anxiety. Let’s cover each one in more detail before we go on to discuss exactly how CBD is reported to help with anxiety.
1. Royal CBD
Get 15% off all Royal CBD products. Use code “CFAH” at checkout.
|Total CBD Content||250 – 2500 mg|
|Available Flavors||Berry, Vanilla, Mint, Natural|
|Potency||8.3 – 83.3 mg/mL|
What We Like About Royal CBD Oil:
Royal CBD is a California-based CBD brand with a growing collection of reviews from both regular users and industry experts.
Unlike many of its competitors, Royal CBD doesn’t rely on far-fetched claims in their marketing. The company also doesn’t specialize in gimmicky product types like we’ve seen from numerous other brands recently. The Royal CBD assortment is all about the classics. They keep it simple, focusing on full-spectrum CBD oil, THC-free CBD gummies, capsules, and CBD-infused topicals.
Royal CBD uses organically-grown hemp from the finest farms in California and Colorado. The company makes this CBD oil by first making a full-spectrum hemp extract using supercritical CO2. The extract is then dissolved in high-grade MCT oil and some flavorings to make the oil more enjoyable to use.
This CBD oil comes in 250 mg, 500 mg, 1000 mg, and 2500 mg – with the option of berry, mint, or other natural flavors.
I personally use Royal CBD’s 1000 mg full-spectrum CBD oil for my general anxiety disorder (GAD) & social anxiety. I should note that I tried 27 other brands before finding the one I liked!
With a 90-day, no-questions money-back guarantee – the only thing you have to lose your anxiety.
- Extremely potent (83mg of CBD per serving for 2500 mg bottle)
- Contains the full spectrum of phytocannabinoids
- Made from 100% natural ingredients
- Third-party tested for potency & purity
- 90-day 100% money-back guarantee
- No CBD vape oils available from the company
- Only comes in a full-spectrum extract
2. Gold Bee – Best Organic Formula
|Total CBD Content||1200 mg|
|Available Flavors||Natural, Kiwi-Honey|
Gold Bee specializes in full-spectrum CBD oil that combines organic hemp with honey sourced from the Brazillian Rainforest. If not for the lack of high-potency oils, we would place this brand on the very top of our ranking due to the quality of ingredients it offers.
The full-spectrum extract is suspended in hemp seed oil to boost its bioavailability and keep everything in the cannabis family. Every product from Gold Bee’s line up is rigorously tested in third-party laboratories for their CBD content and purity. Unlike competitor brands, Gold Bee doesn’t use artificial flavorings and sweeteners in its products. The kiwi version of the oil is flavored with the said honey.
I use CBD oils for my morning anxiety when I can’t get my mind wrapped around my daily duties, and I’ve never been calmer since then. The 1200 mg potency also provides a nice dose of CBD before bed; I take it to unwind after spending most of the day in front of a computer screen, and I noticed a big difference in how rested I wake up the next day.
- Premium Colorado-grown hemp
- CO2 extraction
- Contains full-spectrum CBD
- Delicious kiwi flavor
- Sweetened with organic honey
- Lab-tested for potency and purity
3. CBDPure (Runner Up)
|Total CBD Content||100 – 600 mg|
What We Like About CBDPure CBD Oil:
Similar to the other brands in our ranking, CBDPure sells full-spectrum CBD oil that has been sourced from domestically grown hemp and extracted with supercritical CO2.
If you’re looking for the highest potency, though, you might end up a little bit disappointed, as the maximum strength offered by their products is 600 mg of CBD per bottle, which is equal to 20 mg of CBD per mL. Our first choice, Royal CBD, has 30% higher potency than the strongest option available for this brand.
The good news is that these are full-spectrum extracts, so you need less CBD to find relief from anxiety than you would with CBD isolate. Each batch of CBDPure products is tested in a certified laboratory for the entire cannabinoid profile, terpenes, and flavonoids, as well as for potential contaminants.
If you’re not satisfied with this CBD oil for your anxiety, CBDPure has a 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed program, which allows you to get a full refund if you send the order back within 90 days after the purchase.
- Extracted with supercritical CO2
- Extensively tested in 3rd-party laboratories
- You can get a full refund within 90 days if you’re not satisfied with the product
- Only available as oil drops or soft gel capsules
- Low potency (20 mg of CBD/mL maximum)
- No flavored options
- They don’t ship to Arkansas, Louisiana, Indiana, and Kansas
4. Hemp Bombs
|Total CBD Content||300 – 4000 mg|
|Available Flavors||Peppermint & watermelon|
|Potency||10 – 133.3 mg/mL|
What We Like About Hemp Bombs CBD Oil:
Hemp Bombs is an American company specializing in the production of 99% pure CBD isolates. These products are available as standard tinctures, vape oils, capsules, or gummies.
Hemp Bombs CBD oil comes in five different potency options ranging from 300 mg to as much as 4000 mg of CBD per bottle. The CBD has been sourced from certified organic hemp plants from Europe and extracted with supercritical CO2 for the highest purity level.
This CBD oil option is made from CBD isolate — which means there’s nothing but pure CBD inside this oil. No THC or other cannabinoids, terpenes, or any other phytochemicals from the hemp plant. This offers a big advantage in that there’s guaranteed to be no THC in the bottle.
Isolate-based CBD oils are very versatile — you use them on their own, make DIY CBD infusions (e.g. creams and balms), add it to E-liquid for an extra punch, or use it in cooking delicious food. They’re also preferred for people who are using CBD alongside other supplements because there are fewer compounds that can potentially interact with the other health supplements.
Keep in mind that CBD isolate is purged from any cannabinoids other than CBD — so if you’re looking to take advantage of the entourage effect, you’re better off going for a full-spectrum CBD oil such as Royal CBD.
- Sourced from 100% certified organic hemp from European farmers
- Extracted with CO2
- Lab-tested for purity and potency
- Available in 5 potency options
- Less expensive than full-spectrum extracts
- Not certified organic
- No entourage effect from other cannabinoids
- The ultra-high potency options are overkill for most users
|Total CBD Content||250 – 5000 mg|
|Potency||8.3 – 166 mg/mL|
What We Like About CBDistillery CBD Oil:
CBDistillery is an industry veteran, but make no mistake, the brand hasn’t rested on its laurels. On the contrary, CBDistillery continues to set high standards for its competitors, both in terms of the quality of ingredients and the potency of its products.
CBDistillery’s CBD oil is available in five different potencies, starting from 250 mg up to 5000 mg of full-spectrum CBD. The 2500 mg and 5000 mg options come in 30 mL bottles, which breaks down to 83–166 mg per serving — that’s enough CBD to keep you supplied for weeks or months.
What I love about CBDistillery’s assortment is that its products are sold at very reasonable prices. The 250 mg CBD oil costs around $20, so you don’t have to break the bank to get yourself a high-quality health supplement.
Users can choose between full-spectrum CBD oil and THC-free (broad-spectrum) oil, which is a nice move towards those who want to keep any traces of THC away from their system without losing the benefits offered by the entourage effect.
- Sourced from non-GMO, pesticide-free hemp
- Available as full-spectrum CBD or pure CBD oil (THC-free)
- Lab-tested for the cannabinoid content and purity levels
- Available in 5 different potency options
- Good price/quality ratio
- Not certified organic
- No flavored options
6. NuLeaf Naturals
|Total CBD Content||240 – 4850 mg|
What We Like About NuLeaf Naturals CBD Oil:
NuLeaf Naturals is another veteran brand that’s been selling CBD oil for over 5 years now. While they don’t have the broadest range of CBD products — only oil drops for humans and pets — this company definitely knows how to make an all-natural CBD oil.
All Nuleaf Naturals oils are sourced from domestic hemp and extracted with CO2. NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil has a beautiful amber-gold color, which is a good indicator of its quality. The oil is then filtered to remove any remaining plant matter.
NuLeaf sells its products in five different volumes — all in the same potency of 48 mg.mL CBD:
- 5 mL — 240 mg of CBD total
- 15 mL — 725 mg of CBD total
- 30 mL — 1450 mg of CBD total
- 50 mL — 2425 mg of CBD total
- 100 mL — 4850 mg of CBD total
- Made from 100% organic, Colorado-grown hemp
- Extracted with a combination of subcritical and supercritical CO2
- Lab-tested for potency and over 200 common contaminants
- Full-spectrum extracts
- Available for both humans and pets
- Narrow product range
- More expensive than much of the competition
7. Charlotte’s Web
|Total CBD Content||200 – 1800 mg|
|Available Flavors||Mint Chocolate, Lemon Twist, Orange Blossom, Olive Oil|
|Potency||7 – 60 mg/mL|
About Charlotte’s Web:
Charlotte’s Web is one of the oldest CBD companies in the United States. Founded by the Stanley Brothers, the brand has earned its reputation for helping now late Charlotte Figi with her intractable epilepsy. Despite several controversies about the health claims they made in the past, Charlotte’s Web didn’t lower its standards and still produce some of the best hemp extracts on the market.
Charlotte’s Web CBD oil is available in several concentrations: 200 mg, 500 mg, 1500 mg, and 1800 mg of total CBD. The highest potency provides 60 mg of full-spectrum CBD in every milliliter. You can choose between two bottle sizes (30 mL and 100 mL); Charlotte’s Web also offers flavored versions of its CBD oil, such as Mint Chocolate, Lemon Twist, Orange Blossom, and Olive Oil.
The company uses ethanol for extraction instead of the standard CO2 technology, which may leave a distinct aftertaste upon swallowing.
- One of the most reputable brands on the market
- Full-spectrum CBD
- Delicious flavored versions
- Up to 1800 mg of CBD per bottle
- Available in two sizes: 30 mL and 100 mL
- Third-party tested for potency and purity
- Non-organic hemp
- Ethanol extraction
- Suspension in olive oil (bitter taste)
- The company received a warning letter from the FDA in the past due to inappropriate health claims
|Total CBD Content||300 – 7500 mg|
|Available Flavors||Natural, Berry, Orange, Mint|
|Potency||10 – 250 mg/mL|
cbdMD is a North Carolina-based company that offers a wide range of CBD products, including tinctures, gummies, capsules, topicals, bath bombs, sleep aids, and pet products.
The company boasts a broad selection of pure CBD oils. The potency of these extracts ranges between 300 and 7500 mg of CBD per bottle; the highest concentration packs a healthy dose of 200 mg of pure CBD isolate suspended in MCT oil for improved absorption. cbdMD also offers four flavor options: natural, berry, orange, and mint.
On the one hand, it could be challenging to find another company with such concentrated products; but on the other hand, these CBD oils are based on a broad-spectrum extract, which doesn’t evoke the full entourage effect. Therefore, higher potency may not translate into better results.
Transparency-wise, cbdMD provides up-to-date certificates of analysis from a third-party laboratory. They are available on the company’s website; you can find them by entering the product’s batch.
- US-grown, non-GMO hemp
- CO2 extraction
- Up to 7500 mg of CBD per bottle
- Batch-specific certificates of analysis
- Limited entourage effect due to the lack of THC
- Most people don’t need such high doses of CBD in their routine
|Total CBD Content||500 – 3000 mg|
|Available Flavors||Natural, Citrus, Mint Chocolate|
|Potency||16 – 100 mg/mL|
Medterra is a small California-based company that offers premium CBD extracts in different spectra: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolates. The potency of these oils ranges between 500 mg and 3000 mg of CBD per bottle, which is a standard range. Aside from the unflavored version, there are two flavored options: Citrus and Mint Chocolate.
The full-spectrum CBD oil is also infused with 2 mg of THC per bottle, which the company claims to be the true full spectrum of cannabinoids. However, the problem with this version of Medterra’s CBD oil is that they aren’t legal in all 50 states because they contain more than 0.3% of THC.
So, if you want to buy Medterra’s products in all 50 states, your options are limited to broad-spectrum extracts and isolates. These come in higher potencies, upwards of 1000 mg of CBD per bottle.
All of Medterra’s CBD oils are tested in a third-party laboratory for potency and purity, including the results for pesticides, heavy metals, and residual solvents.
- Premium-grade CBD oils
- Up to 3000 mg of CBD per bottle
- Available as full-spectrum CBD, broad-spectrum CBD, and isolates
- Lab tested for potency and purity
- The “real” full-spectrum CBD oil isn’t available in all states
- Some of the lab reports indicate higher CBD levels than stated on the bottle
- No discounts for returning customers
10. Joy Organics
|Total CBD Content||450 – 900 mg|
|Available Flavors||Tranquil Mint, Fresh Lime, Summer Lemon|
|Potency||15 – 30 mg/mL|
About Joy Organics:
Joy Organics is one of the most reputable CBD vendors in this space. The brand was founded by a woman named Joy Smith, who has been exploring the benefits of CBD oil for her problems with pain and sleep.
Joy Organics offers a range of broad-spectrum CBD extracts sourced from certified organic hemp. The company has plenty of positive reviews all over the internet. They also haven’t received any warning letters from the FDA yet.
The Joy Organics CBD oil is formulated with broad-spectrum CBD in a modest potency range, from 450 to 900 mg of CBD per bottle. These oils are available in three refreshing flavors: Tranquil Mint, Fresh Lime, and Summer Lemon. The highest potency provides 30 mg of CBD in every milliliter, which is a standard dose for most people in terms of daily supplementation.
In 2018, one of the company’s citrus tincture was found to contain a fungicide that is commonly used on citrus fruit during independent testing. Fortunately, Joy Organics recalled the product immediately following this and implemented a new third-party testing system.
- Non-GMO, US-grown hemp
- Supercritical CO2 extraction
- Broad-spectrum CBD
- Delicious flavors
- A bit expensive
- No high-strength oils
What is CBD Oil?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is one of the active ingredients in the cannabis plant (Cannabis sativa). This includes both industrial hemp plants, and marijuana.
CBD is the modulator to the endocannabinoid system — a complex neurochemical network responsible for controlling various vital functions in the human body and brain. The endocannabinoid system regulates processes such as:
- Cognitive performance
- Body temperature
- Immune function
- Mood and emotion
- Hunger and satiety
CBD helps the endocannabinoid system maintain chemical balance within the body — also known as “homeostasis” or “equilibrium.” If homeostasis isn’t maintained, we become sick. Depending on which aspect of homeostasis is out of balance — the effects on the body will be very different. If our nervous system is affected, it can lead to symptoms of anxiety, stress, and emotional instability.
CBD has other effects on the body as well — the most relevant in the context of this article are its effects on a neurotransmitter called GABA — which is responsible for slowing us down when we become overstimulated. We’ll get into how this works in more detail later.
There are many different ways to use CBD — it’s added to capsules, infused in topical salves and creams, mixed into gummy candies, and added to vape oils. But by far the most popular form of the supplement is in the form of an oil. CBD oils are made by mixing the fat-soluble hemp extracts rich in CBD and other cannabinoids with an oil base — in most cases MCT oil or hemp seed oil.
Using CBD in the form of oil makes it easier to measure doses since you simply have to count the number of drops or measure the oil with the built-in dropper. Compare this to pure hemp extracts which require scales and a lot of experience to accurately measure the right dose.
Additionally, the oil content of CBD oils significantly improves the absorption rate in the digestive tract. This helps make the CBD more efficient — allowing you to use less CBD for the same level of benefits.
What Causes Anxiety?
Anxiety is defined as “an emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts, and physical changes like increased blood pressure.” It’s a natural process developed over the course of human evolution to protect us from environmental threats like changes in our environment, exposure to predators, or other dangers. Feeling anxious helps us identify and avoid dangers that pose a threat to our health and wellbeing.
Anxiety can also become pathological — leading us to feel excessive stress and worry in situations that are not life-threatening. Modern stresses like work deadlines, relationship problems, or social expectations can all cause us to feel anxious. If this happens too often or in excessive amounts, it can cause us more harm than good.
There are many forms and levels of intensity of anxiety symptoms — including generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety, insomnia, and many different phobias.
It’s wise to speak with your doctor if you experience severe anxiety attacks, or if your anxiety begins affecting your ability to live your life. There are many underlying causes for anxiety, so it’s best if a medical professional can explore some of these options to help you find the best form of treatment.
Why Are Pharmaceutical Anxiety Medications Dangerous To Our Health?
The most common form of drug treatment for anxiety is a class known as benzodiazepines. These medications bind to the GABA receptors in the brain to force electrical activity to slow down — thus alleviating the most common signs of anxiety. This works in a similar way to CBD, but is significantly stronger and more specific.
The main problem with conventional anti-anxiety medications is that they can become highly addictive — often leading to a worsening of symptoms over time as tolerance to the medications begins to form.
Here’s the problem…
You take benzodiazepines to fight anxiety and for a time it works. However, the body quickly forms a tolerance to the medication to resist its effects by removing some of the GABA receptors. Once these receptors are gone, we need more of the medication to produce the same effect. This process continues until we’ve reached the maximum dose for the drug. If the drug starts to wear off, we no longer have enough GABA receptor activity to keep our nervous system from going into hyperdrive — forcing us into a state of extreme anxiety.
The body will eventually reach a point where we require the drug just to not have an anxiety attack.
Benzodiazepines aren’t the only option, but they’re the most common. Other classes of medications used for treating anxiety have similar effects long-term.
Some examples of anti-anxiety medications include:
- Tricyclic antidepressants
Side-effects to these medications are common and can range in severity. Most of the drug classes on the list will cause tolerance in the body, as described above.
Here are some of the most severe side effects of prescription anti-anxiety medications:
- Cardiac disease
- Blurred vision
- Weight gain
With all these negatives, it’s no wonder why CBD has become such a popular alternative treatment option for anxiety and related conditions. You can check our post to know more about the risk of taking CBD with Xanax — a prescription drug that belongs to benzodiazepines medications.
Potential Benefits of CBD Oil For Anxiety
At the very beginning of the article, we mentioned that the endocannabinoid system regulates our response to fear, among many other functions.
Unlike conventional anti-anxiety treatments, CBD oil doesn’t just mitigate the symptoms of anxiety — it gets down to the root of the problem by regulating endocrine disruptions as well as the amount of anandamide in our brains — a compound aptly named the “bliss molecule.”
CBD has been shown to help with anxiety in a few different ways. While the majority of research describing how CBD works for this disorder is either preclinical or based on animal studies, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of testimonies from people who have found relief in CBD oil after failing with the conventional treatment. There are also a handful of randomized, double-blind, clinical trials conducted on the interaction as well. These are considered to be the highest form of clinical research available.
Let’s cover the mechanisms of action CBD oil uses to support anxiety levels and what the research says about this incredibly useful molecule.
1. Serotonin Receptors & Brain Activity
CBD has been shown to stimulate the 5HT1 serotonin receptors. In simple terms, this cannabinoid increases serotonin activity in the brain — which affects the transmission of electrical activity as well as mood, concentration, and sleep.
Studies have shown a direct link between the activity of serotonin as the 5HT1 and 5HT2 serotonin receptors in the central nervous system and anxiety disorders.
2. Anandamide Production — The Bliss Molecule
The next anti-anxiety effect of CBD is linked to its ability to increase the amount of the body’s natural endocannabinoids — anandamide and 2-AG. This effect is particularly prominent for anandamide in particular.
Anandamide has almost the same chemical structure as THC, the cannabinoid responsible for triggering euphoric and psychoactive effects in cannabis users.
Anandamide doesn’t cause psychoactive effects like THC, but it is closely correlated with feelings of bliss, joy, and euphoria. In contrast, lower anandamide levels are thought to result in a low mood or “overreaction” to stress and anxiety triggers.
CBD has been shown to enhance the activity of anandamide by preventing its breakdown and metabolism — ultimately leading to elevated levels of the bliss molecule in the brain.
3. Hippocampal Neurogenesis — Homeostasis & Anxiety
The hippocampus is a critical brain region tasked with controlling homeostasis in both the brain and body.
Brains scans of patients struggling with anxiety and depression often exhibit changes in the hippocampus, and successful anxiety treatment is associated with the production of new neurons (neurogenesis) in this area. Some research has shown.
It appears that CBD may stimulate the hippocampus to regenerate neurons, which could be groundbreaking for anxiety patients (5).
Current evidence suggests that severely damaged neuronal plasticity may influence suicidal behavior — so, regenerating neurons in the hippocampus is thought to reduce the chances of depressive behavior.
4. GABA Receptors — The Brake Pedals for the Brain
Earlier, we spoke about the interaction CBD has with our GABA receptors. Let’s dig into this a little more and discuss exactly how this works and how it relates to anxiety.
GABA essentially acts as the brake pedal for the nervous system. It’s used to keep our speed in check when we become agitated. If GABA isn’t doing its job effectively, we can quickly begin to speed out of control — resulting in symptoms commonly referred to as anxiety.
CBD binds to the GABA receptors in the nerve cells and makes them more sensitive to GABA. This would be like changing the brake pads on your car, so you don’t have to hit the pedal as hard to begin slowing down.
Research has shown that insufficient GABA activity is closely involved in the development of anxiety disorders. CBD has been shown to interact with the GABAa receptors in the neurons, offering a precise mechanism for its anti-anxiety benefits. Other cannabinoids in the cannabis plant have also been shown to support this process through GABA and other chemical pathways in the brain.
The Best CBD Oil For Anxiety: What to Look For
The hemp industry has proven to be a lucrative market for many companies. Still, as with so many emerging businesses, it’s a tantalizing sector for sketchy companies trying to cash in on unaware customers.
You want to steer clear of inferior CBD supplements as much as possible. Such products are often made from low-quality hemp, extracted with toxic solvents, and promise a lot more than CBD oil is capable of.
When searching for the best CBD products for anxiety online or in local stores near you, keep an eye out for the following details:
1. Hemp Source — Opt For Domestic
Hemp is an effective bio-accumulator, meaning it absorbs everything from the soil it grows in. When grown in polluted soil, the plant may accumulate heavy metals and other harmful toxins, resulting in a poor end product. Hemp grown in places like China or India is especially high in these toxic elements because of high soil contamination in the region.
If you want a high-quality CBD oil to help you deal with anxiety, look for products that have been sourced from domestically grown hemp. US farmers are subject to strict quality control standards, and the growing competition prevents them from cutting corners in their cultivation practices.
Plus, many US growers use organic growing methods even if their CBD oil is not certified organic, mainly due to the high cost of these certifications. Always ask your potential vendor how they source their plants to ensure you’re not throwing your money down the drain.
2. Extraction Method — Look For CO2 Extraction
The majority of high-quality CBD oils are extracted with supercritical carbon dioxide. This method produces a pure and highly potent product, leaving you with pure extracts free of any toxic solvent residue.
CBD tinctures, which are a bit different than CBD oil, are extracted with high-proof alcohol. Some less common extraction methods call for using olive oil, but when a company isn’t open about how it obtains its CBD extracts, that should raise a red flag because that means they probably applied some toxic solvents in the process. And what’s worse, there’s a risk these solvents weren’t completely removed after extraction.
3. Full-Spectrum Hemp vs. CBD Isolate
What do you want to achieve with your CBD oil aside from anxiety relief?
Are you aiming at maximizing your CBD dose per serving?
Or is the whole-plant synergy more important than the potency of cannabidiol?
If you want a versatile product and high doses of CBD — isolate-based CBD oil will be your best bet. On the other hand, full-spectrum extracts offer one perk that isolates users cannot achieve with their products — the entourage effect.
The entourage effect refers to the synergistic effect achieved by all active compounds in cannabis plants. Researchers suggest each of these compounds work in unison to amplify the benefits of one another, resulting in a greater therapeutic potential.
The cannabis community appears to support this concept; the Internet is full of testimonies from people who switched from isolates to full-spectrum CBD oil for anxiety because they needed lower doses to get relief.
4. Additional Ingredients
High-quality CBD oil contains two main ingredients — CBD extract and carrier oil in which the CBD is dissolved.
Additionally, CBD oil can have some natural flavorings added to mask the hemp aftertaste. Some products are infused with supplementary herbs and organic compounds to amplify the stress-relieving properties of cannabidiol — such as chamomile or melatonin.
In general, a complex formula involving hemp extract and other herbs and nutrients formulated for a specific application is going to be better overall.
5. Laboratory Testing Results
3rd-party lab testing is the ultimate way to verify the credibility of your CBD vendor.
Not only do such tests check for the potency of CBD in the final product, but they also list the entire cannabinoid profile and can detect any impurities that could compromise its quality.
If the brand actually uses premium ingredients in its CBD oil (as they claim), they should be open about their lab testing reports and list the results publicly on the company website. If these tests aren’t available, we suggest you move on to look elsewhere for a company that does this.
CBD Oil For Anxiety: Key Takeaways
As scientists conduct more research on the health benefits of CBD, we’re beginning to unlock new applications of this incredible plant-extract. One of the hottest areas in research at the moment is for the use of CBD with anxiety.
CBD oil works by interacting with the endocannabinoid to support homeostasis (balance), modulate GABA activity, and support serotonin and anandamide levels — all of which play a key role in the process of stress and anxiety.
The greatest challenge lies in finding the best CBD oil for anxiety out of the sea of fly-by-night CBD brands. As long as you know what characteristics make for an excellent CBD brand and what the red flags are for scam or poor-quality products — you should be able to find a product that suits your individual needs.
If you’re not sure where to start, I highly recommend you go with Royal CBD as your CBD oil of choice. The 1000 mg option offers the best value for money, and high-grade full-spectrum extract has served me well with my anxiety in the past.
Have you tried using CBD for anxiety? How did it work for you? Let us know in the comments!
- Beesdo, K., Knappe, S., & Pine, D. S. (2009). Anxiety and anxiety disorders in children and adolescents: developmental issues and implications for DSM-V. The Psychiatric clinics of North America, 32(3), 483–524.
- Blessing, E. M., Steenkamp, M. M., Manzanares, J., & Marmar, C. R. (2015). Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders. Neurotherapeutics: the journal of the American Society for Experimental NeuroTherapeutics, 12(4), 825–836.
- Russo, E.B., Burnett, A., Hall, B., and Parker, K.K. (2005). Agonistic Properties of Cannabidiol at 5-HT1a Receptors. Neurochemical Research, 30(8), 1037-1043.
- Leweke, F. M., Piomelli, D., Pahlisch, F., Muhl, D., Gerth, C. W., Hoyer, C., … Koethe, D. (2012). Cannabidiol enhances anandamide signaling and alleviates psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia. Translational psychiatry, 2(3), e94.
- Beale, C., Broyd, S. J., Chye, Y., Suo, C., Schira, M., Galettis, P., … Solowij, N. (2018). Prolonged Cannabidiol Treatment Effects on Hippocampal Subfield Volumes in Current Cannabis Users. Cannabis and cannabinoid research, 3(1), 94–107.
- Wenzel, A., Haugen, E. N., Jackson, L. C., & Brendle, J. R. (2005). Anxiety symptoms and disorders at eight weeks postpartum. Journal of anxiety disorders, 19(3), 295-311.
- Bakas, T., Van Nieuwenhuijzen, P. S., Devenish, S. O., McGregor, I. S., Arnold, J. C., & Chebib, M. (2017). The direct actions of cannabidiol and 2-arachidonoyl glycerol at GABAA receptors. Pharmacological research, 119, 358-370.
- A World Health Organizadon Demonstration Project. (1994). A phase II study of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol for appetite stimulation in cancer-associated anorexia. Journal of palliative care, 10(1), 14-18.
- Charney, D. S., Woods, S. W., Goodman, W. K., & Heninger, G. R. (1987). Serotonin function in anxiety. Psychopharmacology, 92(1), 14-24.
- Bannerman, D. M., Rawlins, J. N. P., McHugh, S. B., Deacon, R. M. J., Yee, B. K., Bast, T., … & Feldon, J. (2004). Regional dissociations within the hippocampus—memory and anxiety. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 28(3), 273-283.
Nina created CFAH.org following the birth of her second child. She was a science and math teacher for 6 years prior to becoming a parent — teaching in schools in White Plains, New York and later in Paterson, New Jersey.
Leave a comment Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
The Best CBD Oil Brands for Anxiety & Depression
In the past several years, CBD has become a popular and natural way for people to help manage their anxiety. What is the best CBD for anxiety? And how does CBD help with anxiety? In this article, we highlight our favorite brands of CBD for anxiety and provide important background information on how to use CBD oils to help manage anxiety and depression.
CBD stands for cannabidiol, and it is one of the active ingredients found in cannabis. Though CBD is a critical component in medical marijuana, most commercially available CBD products are derived from the hemp plant. These products are said to offer a range of personal health benefits, and one of the most significant of those benefits is relief from anxiety.
A Harvard report notes that CBD is commonly used as a way to manage anxiety symptoms, and that those who struggle with various mental health concerns may use CBD to help them combat sleeplessness.
But what does the science really say about using CBD oil for anxiety and depression? And for those who wish to use CBD products to help with anxiety, what are the best CBD for anxiety brands out there?
Does CBD Help for Anxiety?
Studies show that, while CBD doesn’t necessarily alter a person’s baseline anxiety level, it may be useful for reducing experiential anxiety. Indeed, research points to CBD as a potentially effective way to address the symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Additional research indicates that CBD “has a promising role as alternative therapy in the management of anxiety disorders,” though more clinical testing is needed to verify safe dosage levels.
Based on the available evidence, CBD may potentially help manage the symptoms of anxiety, though it is not a cure. Be sure to consult with your primary care physician or mental health care provider before taking CBD for anxiety and depression if you have any questions or concerns.
Best CBD Oil for Anxiety in 2022
Each product featured here has been independently selected by the writer. You can learn more about our review methodology here. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.
- Best Overall – CBDistillery Strongest Full Spectrum – Spruce
- Best Full Spectrum – NuLeaf Naturals
- Best Organic – Cornbread Hemp
How We Chose CBD Product for Calming
When creating our list of the best CBD oils for anxiety and depression, we compared brands and products ib six specific categories.
- Type of CBD — Does the brand use full spectrum, broad spectrum, or CBD isolate?
- Strength — How many milligrams of CBD does the oil contain per recommended dose?
- Source — Where does the get the hemp used in their hemp extract? Is it grown in the U.S.?
- Flavor — Do they offer multiple flavors, and if so, do they use natural flavoring instead of artificial flavors?
- Transparency — Is the product tested by an independent third-party lab and do they make the results easy to access?
- Customer Experience — What are customers saying about the product and if it has helped them manage stress and anxiety?
Learn more about each of the CBD oils on our list below.
Our Complete Reviews & Opinions
Best Overall: CBDistillery
CBDistillery is known for high-quality, pure CBD products, and their full spectrum oil is a great choice to help you relax. All of their products are third-party lab tested and confirmed to be safe and effective. We like their Relief + Relax CBD oil because it is a full spectrum oil that provides plenty of additional active cannabinoids and plant compounds like CBG, CBC, and terpenes to give you the full benefits of the entourage effect.
- CBD: Full Spectrum
- Strength: 33 mg CBD per serving (1000 mg per bottle)
- Hemp source: Colorado
Why buy: We love this strong full spectrum CBD oil for anxiety because it is sourced from non-GMO, U.S. Hemp Authority Certified hemp grown in Colorado. Taking CBD Relief + Relax in the morning may be a great way to support a sense of calm throughout the day.
Strongest Full Spectrum: Spruce
Spruce CBD oil checks all of the right boxes: it’s all-natural, made from USA-grown hemp, and is backed by rigorous third-party lab testing. You can get this lab-grade CBD oil tincture in a range of potencies, ranging from 750 mg to 2,400 mg per bottle. We like that Spruce CBD oil is all-natural, organic, vegan, gluten-free, and contains no artificial flavors, preservatives, or sweeteners. Note that Spruce products may be too strong for entry-level customers.
- CBD: Full Spectrum
- Strength: 25 mg to 80 mg of CBD per serving
- Hemp source: Kentucky and North Carolina
Why buy: We love that Spruce offers some of the strongest full spectrum CBD products, including their extra strength formula with 80 mg of CBD per serving. We recommend it for experienced CBD users looking for powerful relief from feelings of anxiety and stress.
Best Full Spectrum: NuLeaf Naturals
NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil is about as natural as a CBD tincture can get. It’s made from organic hemp, it’s additive- and pesticide-free, and it’s carefully lab-tested by independent third-party labs. This Colorado-grown, full spectrum CBD offers the full benefits of hemp extract in a natural, organic product. It may be taken daily to help you manage stress and feelings of anxiety by promoting a sense of calm and wellness.
- CBD: Full Spectrum
- Strength: 30 mg of CBD per serving (1800 mg per bottle)
- Hemp source: Colorado
Why buy: We love this strong full spectrum CBD oil because of its simplicity. It contains organic full spectrum hemp extract and organic virgin hemp seed oil. NuLeaf Naturals also provides a consistent concentration of CBD across all bottle sizes to make dosing easier.
Best Organic: Cornbread Hemp
To make their Distilled CBD Oil, Cornbread Hemp extracts CBD only from hemp flowers. This distillation allows the oil to maintain a full spectrum of cannabinoids, with a CBD-to-THC ratio of 27:1. Lower in THC than their Whole Flower oil, this product is better for finding comfort during the day while staying focused and alert. Cornbread Hemp CBD is USDA organic and offers a cleaner tasting oil than some whole plant extracts.
- CBD: Full Spectrum
- Strength: 50mg per 1mL serving
- Hemp source: Kentucky
Why buy: We love this Cornbread Hemp Distilled CBD Oil because it uses whole flower CBD extract for a cleaner product and milder taste. It may be a great way to help ease anxiety during the day without drowsiness or loss of focus. Plus, it’s USDA-certified organic with third-party, ISO certified lab tests on every batch.
Using CBD to Help With Anxiety & Depression: What the Research Says
As cited above, initial research has found that CBD has the potential to help manage the symptoms of anxiety in a variety of cases.
There is also clinical evidence to suggest that CBD can be a tool for managing panic attacks. Panic disorder (PD) impacts about five percent of the total global population, making the anxiolytic effects of CBD products potentially impactful on a widespread level.
There is even clinical evidence that CBD may help minimize the symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), a nervous condition that can be debilitating. Currently, OCD is treated primarily through cognitive behavioral therapy and antidepressants, but the recovery rate is exceedingly low. The prospect of CBD as an alternative intervention is potentially game-changing.
But how exactly does CBD impact those with anxiety conditions? The short answer is that products from the cannabis plant tend to have a strong, reactive effect with the endocannabinoid system, a molecular system that regulates many core functions of the body, including emotions. Cannabinoids can bind to receptors in the endocannabinoid system and modify the way they function, yielding a range of possible health benefits.
In fact, one study notes that “modulating the activity of the endocannabinoid system turned out to hold therapeutic promise in a wide range of disparate diseases and pathological conditions, ranging from mood and anxiety disorders, movement disorders such as Parkinson’s and Huntington’s disease, neuropathic pain, multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury, to cancer, atherosclerosis, myocardial infarction, stroke, hypertension, glaucoma, obesity/metabolic syndrome, and osteoporosis, to name just a few.”
While CBD may potentially help to manage stress and anxiety, it is not intended as a cure for anxiety or depression.
How to Choose CBD Oil for You
When you’re looking for the best CBD for depression and anxiety, it’s important to choose a product that is safe, effective, and natural. Here are some important things to keep in mind when shopping for CBD.
What to Look For
Always look for the following pieces of information when comparing CBD oils for anxiety: type of CBD, hemp source, strength, and lab testing. Below are more details on what each of these mean and why they matter.
Type of CBD
There are actually three different types of CBD extract, including full spectrum, broad spectrum, and CBD isolate. We typically recommend full spectrum products as the most effective, as they allow you to benefit from the full entourage effect of the hemp extract. However, if you undergo drug testing for work or are sensitive to THC, broad spectrum products offer many of the same benefits without the THC. This can also be important for those who find that THC negatively impacts their anxiety.
The quality of the CBD is directly related to the source of the hemp used in a product. Always look for brands that use hemp grown in the U.S.A. We also recommend brands that use either USDA organic hemp or hemp grown using organic farming practices. This ensures that the plants do not contain any pesticides and or artificial fertilizers.
It’s important to know the concentration of CBD in a product so that you can take the appropriate dosage level. For those new to CBD, it’s generally recommended to start with a lower dose, 10 mg or less, and slowly increase the amount as you are comfortable to find the right level of relief. Extra strength products, with 30 mg or more per serving, are recommended for those who know how CBD will affect them. You can read more about the strongest CBD oils here.
Only purchase CBD oils for anxiety that undergo independent third-party lab testing for quality and safety. This is critical to ensure that the product contains the correct levels of CBD and cannabinoids, and that it is free from toxins, heavy metals, or other harmful substances. The brands we recommend all make their lab test results available through QR codes on the product label or on their site.
How to Read Labels
When you check the label of any CBD product, look for information on the four key factors listed above. Labels should clearly state the type of CBD and if it was made with U.S. grown hemp. To evaluate the strength of the product, look for both the amount of CBD per bottle, usually in milligrams per 30 mL, as well as the amount of CBD per serving, usually in milligrams per 1 mL dropper.
Quality products should also include lab-testing certification and a way for you to verify the results for yourself. You can also look for industry certifications and seals from the USDA, Leaping Bunny, the GMO Project, and the U.S. Hemp Authority. Finally, take time to check the list of ingredients to make sure that you are not allergic to any of them. Most CBD oils use a carrier oil like hemp seed oil, olive oil, or MCT coconut oil.
How to Use
For most CBD oils, take a dose once or twice per day, depending on the amount. Some oils work better for daytime use and can be taken in the morning, while others are better suited for nighttime use to help you fall asleep. Again, if you are new to CBD, start with a low amount and slowly increase it to find the correct level to provide relief.
The amount of CBD needed may vary from person to person based on their level of anxiety and other health concerns. One thing that holds true across the board is that using CBD consistently is best for improving stress levels, as the compound builds up within the body, amplifying its effect. In other words, CBD may help you manage anxiety symptoms, but don’t expect it to take effect immediately.
Safety & Side Effects
According to the Mayo Clinic, CBD is generally well-tolerated. There are, however, some mild side effects that can occur. These often result from taking too much CBD, and can include:
- Dry mouth
- Reduced appetite
Additionally, CBD can potentially interact with certain prescription medications, like blood thinners and certain forms of statins. Always check with your doctor if you plan to start using CBD alongside any prescription medications. No CBD product has been approved by the FDA to treat anxiety or depression, so be sure to do your own research on any product you choose to purchase.
While CBD may be a great option to help supplement your anxiety management, it is not meant to cure or treat anxiety. If you are suffering from severe anxiety and depression, the best thing to do is speak with your primary care physician or a mental health professional. They may recommend things like cognitive behavioral therapy, journaling, exercise, yoga, or prescription medications to help.
If approved by your doctor, CBD for depression and anxiety may work with these other approaches to help you find relief and better manage stress.
Josh Hurst is a journalist, critic, copywriter, and essayist. He lives in Knoxville, TN, with his wife and three sons. As a writer and independent reviewer of CBD products, Josh covers the relationship between cannabis-based products and the human body. His writing has appeared in Health, Shape, and Remedy Review.
Medically Reviewed By:
PharmD Scientific Advisor, Medical Reviewer, and Clinical Pharmacist
Adjunct Faculty, UMKC School of Pharmacy